This ice cream might just be worth all that trouble though. It is one of our favorite ice creams that we’ve made so far. It is so creamy. And so full of that heavenly fire roasted marshmallow taste!
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
Roast marshmallows. We did ours over a fire. You can broil yours in the oven (watch carefully!) or use a kitchen torch. ( highly recommend over a fire if you can – the taste is amazing.)
- Place the roasted marshmallows in a blender – set aside. In a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, set that bowl aside. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Heat over medium heat until very hot, but not boiling. Once the milk is hot, slowly pour about ½ cup of the hot milk into the yolks, whisking constantly, this gently warms the egg yolks (so they don’t become scrambled eggs!).
- Keep adding the milk slowly, constantly whisking, until you have about ½ of the hot milk mixture stirred into the eggs yolks.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pan and heat over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture reaches 165-170ºF.
- Remove from heat and stir for about 3 minutes to cool the mixture down. Add milk mixture to the blender and blend for about a minute.
- Let sit for a few minutes, then blend again for another minute. Add in the cold heavy cream and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until very cold – overnight is best.
- Before churning, whisk mixture well. Churn in your ice cream maker and freeze.
Do yourself a favor and go make this ice cream immediately!